Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Blessings and Woes

We have a plaque on our kitchen wall inscribed with the Beatitudes.  I am pretty sure that many of you, somewhere in your house, have a similar plaque or painting or picture.  But my plaque, almost certainly just like yours, sounds different from what we hear in today's gospel (Lk 6:20-26).  Of course, my plaque has the familiar Beatitudes from Matthew’s Gospel, and today we heard Luke’s quite different version.  Luke reminds us not only of the characteristics that open us to the message of Jesus, but, as he does throughout his gospel, Luke makes sure we are also aware of those attitudes and situations which close us off to Jesus and shut us out of the kingdom.
Now wait a minute.  Woe to you who are rich, who have food, who are happy, whom people respect and love?  I want all those things.  Wouldn’t this be a short list of the things that we would want for our children?  I want my kids to have money, to have plenty of food, to be happy, to be respected and loved.  Why is this wishing them woe?
Paul gives me a clue in this morning’s reading from Colossians:  “Seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Think of what is above, not of what is on earth.” (Col 3:1-2)
When I simply think of what is on earth, I am stuck in a world of finite resources, limited time, and conditional love and respect.  I have to work hard, make efficient and effective use of my time, and even then hope for a little luck, if I am to gain my rightful share of resources, of respect, and of love.  And even if I am lucky enough to get it for myself, I cannot guarantee the same for my children.  And in my focus on worldly success, in my anxiety for my children’s own success, I lose sight of what is above.  I lose sight of God.  Woe is me.
Everything changes when I seek what is above. 
Seeing that God loves me so much that, while I was a sinner, he gave his only Son to die for me, I need not seek love and respect.  I am already loved unconditionally.
And knowing that I am loved unconditionally – and therefore loved eternally, for time is not a condition which can end God’s unconditional love – I need not seek the happiness that comes from short-lived earthly pleasures.  I am filled with lasting joy, a light which shines through the darkness, and the darkness cannot overcome it.
And trusting in the eternal, unconditional and infinite love of God, I need not scrabble for food which does not satisfy, for wealth that does not last.  I need not strike out against those that do me harm, for they cannot take from me what God has given.  I know the Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; he is my rod and my staff, I fear no evil.

Seek what is above, and blessed indeed you will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment